Book number: 13
Book name: The 4 Hour Week
Author: Timothy Ferriss
Book Length: 308
Time taken to read: May 2- May 9, 2020
Recommended to: Anyone who wants to start the business of his/her own.
Inspired me to learn about:
This is really an exciting book I got to know after a very long time, it clears your mind with the thought of not think like how everyone is already thinking. All our life, we have been listening about to complete our education and then have a job, whether you like it or not, just keep doing until you make a lot of money one day(according to you) and sit by kicking that job off. Isn’t it?
But Tim tells you here that even if you work like this for the entire life of your way, you won’t be able to take the advantage because till then even you are not sure about anything. And hence, it suggests you to have a mini-retirement plan in between the work.
So the author tells a DEAL here, yes, which is actually a good deal.
In this, the concept of Wealth is being share. Anyone who has a lot of money is not rich but how free he is while earning that money is.
- Wealth Concept:
Time v/s Mobility
- Define your goals and try to pursue them.
- Do what you love rather than being stuck at one place for the sake of money
- Result Oriented work:
This is something which we need to understand that it is not compulsory if the person or an employee is working 10-12 hours a day is productive. We have a lot of examples that if a student is in going to school every day doesn’t mean, he’ll clear the exam. If a director is putting millions of rupees in the making of a film doesn’t mean it will be blockbuster, same way if you are spending hours in the office doesn’t mean you are actually learning or being productive.
Being busy and being productive both are completely different thing. For example, in a day I spend a lot of time on my phone with blogging, leaning through English Apps, reading Quora, learning new words, accessing my official work on WhatsApp, creating marketing content, Writing book summaries/reviews, penning down proses, stories, and poetry. At the same time there would be other people who would be on phone all day playing PUBG and Ludo, and that won’t be productive for a long go. So, understand the difference and always go for the result oriented work.
At times, the most important thing to find is to not what to do but what NOT to do. In this, we need to eliminate all the things which are our distractions.
- If your phone is distracting while you are working on laptop, put the phone behind the laptop. You won’t get distracted.
- Stop checking your mails again and again.
- Do what is important.
- Selective Ignorance: You need to stop doing what doesn’t interest you. If you are feeling the movie isn’t your type, stop wasting time watching it, the same goes for a book. Not every book needs to be finished. If it is boring, leave it aside and jump on another.
- Dealing with focus: The work you do without focus might take 3-4 hours, but the same would be completed with 100% in just an hour. Try yourself. I did.
- Batch Time Consuming activity together: Now working from home can be a tough for us, and in this we need to do a lot of house chores too, if you have all those works, then accumulate and complete them first so it won’t distract you later.
Even if you do your job or business, always make sure that it should not require your presence all the time. For instance, an IT engineer might be too good at his work, and earns well too but if he’s not in office, and he’s required he cannot do anything. The same goes with when a person is working for 9 hours a day and after that there is no automation of that work in terms of earning then it is waste.
If I tell about my work pattern, being in sales profile the only way I found out in my 3 years of career is to be kind with people, help them when they need you, build a rapport, and be available selflessly, and most of the time they are the only ones who bring customers for me because they are happy with me, even if they do bad with me, I am good to them. Selflessly.
Once there was a girl who wanted to buy from me, and was ready with everything, when I tried to help her with the same, she blocked me and never picked up my calls. The same thing I told the girl who had referred her, after a few month, the girl called me that she’s sorry for the misshapen now she wants to proceed ahead, can you help her, and I, on the other end, forgot all the grudges and ego I had for her put aside, and smilingly said yes.
Today that girl, is not just my customer but a fan of my blog and writings too. I didn’t just get a customer but a reader too. And it could happen with one thing and that to be kind in your business. There is no need to take anything personally.
- Outsourcing: Find out people and machines who can replace your time with their efforts. For example, as I said, I maintain a good relationship with my existing clients and in return they outsource me another clients. So rather than finding new ones myself, I will keep myself busy providing them service so they can outsource me people.
- Finding the Muse: Now either it is a business or a job of yours, if you don’t find your muse then there is nothing anyone can help. You need to find out what attracts you the most, and what keeps you work with all your heart.
So there are 7 steps that one can follow to find out the business he/she wants to start with–
Step 1: Affordable
Step 2: Brain Storm the idea
Step 3: Test the Idea
Step 4: Management even in your Absence
Step 5: Do everything by yourself
Step 6: Outsourcing
Step 7: Focus on 20% Business
- You need to understand that the job you are doing is not going to feed you for a lifetime, you need to learn a lot of things before you start your own business. This is a golden opportunity one have to get the learning for the work, along with that you will get paid too. But if you don’t learn anything then it is a waste of time and resources.
- Take the trainings. A lot of them.
- Gain Skillset
- Take leaves from your work and focus on your business. (I remember when I want to get rid of my daily schedule, I pick up a book, my journal, a pen and spend time where I feel the best)
- Work from Home: As many of us follow this patter due to Covid-19 Pandemic, just get the official work done and focus on your business idea. This is the best time.
- Remember: Leaving your job won’t be a big deal but how you survive after that matters the most, hence all I am trying to covey here is work simultaneously on your job and business before you leave your job completely. If things go well, leave a job, maintain savings, and decrease expenses.
- Mini-Retirements: Rather than saving all the money for the future, make yourself flexible enough to that can make you-
Take mini-retirement – Travel the world – Back to work
3 takeaways from the book:
- Get out of your self-defeating Assumptions.
- Eliminate unimportant Work
- Put your Income on Autopilot
- Enjoy freedom of Location.
- And lastly, even if you put 4 hours a week in your business Idea like this, you will live happily.
SumitOfficial’s rating: 4/5 stars
Copyright 2015-2020 by SumitOfficial
All Rights Reserved.